A Spot of Writing Magazine Issue 1 – Call for Submissions – Poems – Short Stories – Flash Fiction
“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”
― Emily Dickinson
Weston Writer’s Nights are launching a quarterly magazine ‘A Spot of Writing’, to celebrate emerging writers from Somerset and the surrounding areas. Each issue will feature short stories, poetry and flash fiction from local writers on selected themes.
Our first issue will be on the theme ‘hope’.
Good stories and poems transport us to different worlds and allow us to experience things outside of ourselves. They might respond to current events, imagining a future that is wildly different to the present day, or they may depict extraordinary versions of everyday moments. A good deed, a utopian future, a dream come true. Hope can be found wherever you look, as long as you are looking hard enough.
We are interested in stories responding to COVID-19 but we would equally like to see stories that approach the theme from different angles.
Short Stories – up to 2000 words.
Flash Fiction – up to 500 words.
Poetry – maximum 40 lines per poem.
All pieces should respond to the theme of ‘hope’, either implicitly or explicitly.
To be eligible to submit your work you should be either living in Somerset or Bristol, from Somerset, or submitting a piece about Somerset. Please get in touch if you are not sure whether you are eligible.
Email submissions to: email@example.com with the email subject: Magazine Submission
If you would like any support to put together a submission, the team will be available to help with editorial support and advice. We will also be holding a digital creative writing workshop to inspire pieces on the theme – please get in touch if you would be interested in attending this.
Deadline 7th May
A number of magazines will be distributed through the community to support individuals who are experiencing loneliness as a result of COVID-19.
Terms and Conditions:
– You may send up to three poems or up to 2000 words of fiction.
– Submissions must not have been published online or in print. Simultaneous submissions are not accepted.
– The magazine will be launched at the end of May 2020 and will be available from the Weston Writer’s Nights website. Each contributor will receive a copy of the magazine and a number will be distributed through the community to support individuals who are experiencing loneliness as a result of COVID-19.
– All contributions will be credited with the author’s name and a short biographical note. All copyright and ownership to works submitted will remain entirely with the author.
– We are unfortunately unable to provide payment for contributions. Contributions will be part of a not-for-profit resource for the public.
– By submitting any works for inclusion in the magazine, the author grants license to Weston Writer’s Nights to publish, copy and distribute the works as part of the magazine.
Please do get in touch with us if you have any questions about this call out.