A Spot of Writing Magazine Issue 2 – Call for Submissions – Poems – Short Stories – Flash Fiction
“Everyone has a story to tell. Everyone is a writer, some are written in the books and some are confined to hearts.”– Savi Sharma
‘A Spot of Writing’, is a quarterly magazine created by Weston Writers’ Nights to celebrate emerging writers from Somerset and the surrounding areas. Each issue features short stories, poetry and flash fiction from local writers on selected themes.
Our second issue will be on the theme: ‘Everybody has a story’.
Each one of us has a lifetime of unique experiences. We each see the world in a different way and have stories to share that no-one else could tell. A local legend, a personal escapade, a hand-me-down tale that has journeyed through generations.
Everybody has a story. What’s yours?
Submissions might respond to current events, imagining a future that is wildly different to the present day, or they may depict extraordinary versions of everyday moments. They may be personal responses, or fictional interpretations – pick a character and tell us their story.
Short Stories – up to 2000 words.
Flash Fiction – up to 500 words.
Poetry – maximum 40 lines per poem.
All pieces should respond to the theme ‘everybody has a story’, either implicitly or explicitly.
To be eligible to submit your work you should be either living in Somerset or Bristol, from Somerset, or submitting a piece about Somerset. Please get in touch if you are not sure whether you are eligible.
Email submissions to: email@example.com with the email subject: Magazine Submission
If you would like any support to put together a submission, the team will be available to help with editorial support and advice.
Deadline 11th September
A number of magazines will be distributed through the community to support individuals who are experiencing isolation.
Terms and Conditions:
– You may send up to three poems or up to 2000 words of fiction.
– Submissions must not have been published online or in print. Simultaneous submissions are not accepted.
– The magazine will be launched at the end of September 2020 and will be available to purchase from the Weston Writer’s Nights website. Each contributor will receive a copy of the magazine and a number will be distributed through the community to support individuals who are experiencing isolation.
– All contributions will be credited with the author’s name and a short biographical note. All copyright and ownership to works submitted will remain entirely with the author.
– We are unfortunately unable to provide payment for contributions. Contributions will be part of a not-for-profit resource for the public.
– By submitting any works for inclusion in the magazine, the author grants license to Weston Writer’s Nights to publish, copy and distribute the works as part of the magazine.
Please do get in touch with us if you have any questions about this call out.
Issue 1 of A Spot of Writing Magazine was released in June 2020.
The Hope Issue features 16 emerging local writers and includes poignant flash fiction pieces, heartwarming stories and beautiful poems. Underpinning every piece is a profound sense of hope for the future.
We sent over 80 copies of the magazine to key workers, isolated individuals and inspiring organisations, free of charge, to spread a little bit of hope in our community.