With the festive season fast approaching, we thought we would compile a list of our top gift recommendations for the writer in your life! If you’re stuck for present ideas, look no further – we’ve got you covered!
1. Bibliophile by Jane Mount, and the accompanying range of products, are sure to bring a smile to any writer! The book includes peeks inside the workspaces of famous authors, and is a beautiful source of inspiration. We also love the companion journal, keyring and bookends which would make perfect additions to any writing desk!
Why not go one step further, and buy through bookshop.com? You’ll be supporting UK independent bookshops with every purchase!
2. Subscription to Scrivener – While Scrivener is not for every writer, for some it is a useful tool for working on their manuscripts. The software is tailor-made for long writing projects and has lots of handy tools to make researching, restructuring and editing super easy. If you know someone whose New Year’s resolution is to finally write that novel they’ve been talking about, this could be the perfect gift!
3. A Subscription to Writing Magazine – Writing magazine is packed with inspiration, tips and competitions to help you become a better writer. It’s a great resource for any writer, whether they are new to writing or have several novels under their belt. There are 12 issues a year, so a subscription really is the gift that keeps giving – and with an added free gift of the Writers’ & Artists Yearbook 2021 (an essential handbook for writers), any writer would be thrilled to find this gift under the tree!
4. This Future Bestselling Author Mug – Need we say more? Writers are notorious for being avid tea and coffee drinkers which makes this mug the perfect companion to keep them going through long stints at their desk!
5. A Voucher for a Writing Workshop – Writing workshops and events are invaluable opportunities to learn from other writers, and spark your creativity at the same time, but they can be quite expensive. If your writer friend has mentioned one they’d love to go to, a voucher is sure to make the perfect gift, or you could find one through online event listings – Literature Works is a great place to look! You could even create your own voucher in a Christmas card to offer to pay for a ticket to an event when one comes up – it might even be a Weston Writers’ Nights event!
6. Books about Writing – If there’s one thing writers like more than writing, it’s reading, which means books about writing make perfect gifts for the writer in your life. Books are a great way to learn from famous writers and improve your craft – we recommended some of our favourites on our blog last year!